Thursday, February 3, 2011

But who prays for Satan?

So I started this post about how much I hate people, but then I realized that I'm not called to hate anyone. Honestly, that might be something I struggle with the most is loving my enemies, but you have to do it. No matter how hard or challenging it may seem, it can be done. 


"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?"


I read this quote a few months back and ever since, it's been stuck in my mind, compelling me to actually pray for the devil. But while thinking about this quote that Mark Twain created, it brought me to thinking about actually praying for the ones that we hate, and the ones that we say are "Satan" at times. And obviously, they're the ones that need it more than the ones we love do. When we decide to actually hate someone, we usually have a pretty good reason to decide our hatred. And if we struggle with that reason, if it bothers us, then why aren't we praying about it? Another thing I thought about is why it is that as soon as something tragic happens to us, something we never wanted to happen actually occurs, we go straight to our phone or straight to our friend and let them in on the latest news, our bad news. Do we actually think that they can do something about it, take the pain away, and make it all better? They aren't God, so why aren't we going to the man that changed the world, why aren't we telling him, (of course he already knows) and why aren't we praying for guidance? I hope you learn to pray for the ones that make your life miserable, because I sure know that I will. 


Life is Rough Waters, just be sure you have a stable boat.
-KG

No comments:

Post a Comment